We offer fun and educational Equestrian kids camps for ages 7-17. Weather your child is an avid horse enthusiast or someone who has little to no horse experience and is interested in learning, this program is for them! Horses bring out the best in people, teaching them responsibility, work ethic and how to control your emotions. On top of that, working with horses will get your child outside and away from technology! With well trained lesson horses and professional staff, your child will always be in good hands.
Our kids’ camps run Monday – Thursday from 9am – 1pm.
Age ranges. We have camp for ages 7 to 12 and 12 to 17.
Experience needed: No experience necessary.
9am: Arrival, meet and greet, safety introduction.
10am: Meet and learn about the horses on the ranch, learn how to catch and halter a horse.
11am: Learn basic horse handling, grooming lesson, saddling lesson.
11:45: Snack time!
12pm: Time to saddle up your very own lesson horse and go for your first ride!
· Learn how to mount the horse.
· Learn how to maneuver the horse with your body, hands and legs
· Learn how to ask a horse to stop and go
· Play a game of “Red-light Green-light” (To show that you can control your horse’s speed)
· Maneuver your horse around an obstacle course. (To show that you have control of your horse’s direction)
· Learn how to properly dismount and tie your horse up.
1pm: Sit and enjoy a snack or feed your new horse some carrots while you wait for the arrival of your parents.
9am: Arrival, go into pasture and learn how to get your horse to “hook onto you” so that you can catch him/her. (helps to create strong bond between horse and child)
10am: Groom your horse and feed it grain.
10:30am: Learn horse anatomy. Play “Pin the part on the horse”
11:00am: Saddle your horse, learn the parts of a saddle and their function.
11:45am: snack break!
· Mount your horse.
· Walk and demonstrate how you can control your horse.
· First time trotting!
· Practice transitions, getting your horse to walk, trot, then walk again, then stop.
· Do another obstacle course at a trot.
· Team building exercise on horseback.
1pm: Enjoy a snack while you wait or volunteer to help with the horses until your parents arrive.
9am: Arrive and catch your horses!
9:30am: groom and saddle
· Mount your horse
· Warm up and practice different exercises at the walk.
· Practice trotting and controlling the parts of your horse.
· Pass the cone and don’t drop the bandanna team building exercises
· Learn how to lope/canter your horse for the first time!
· Practice transitions from walk, trot, lope, to stop.
· Learn different exercises to control the parts of your horse
· Head out on a trail ride!
· Practice moving your horse around natural obstacles such as trees and downed logs.
· Play “pass the stick” team building exercise.
· Take turns leading the string of horses.
· Trot and lope (if ready) on the trail like a true cowboy/cowgirl
· Learn how to use Land Navigation skills to get back to the stables.
· Arrive at the stables and put horses up.
12pm: Learn how to give your horse a bath!
1pm: Have a snack while you wait or choose to volunteer with the horses while you await your parent’s arrival.
9am: Arrival, catch your horse, grain, groom, and saddle your horse.
· Warm up at a walk and practice the exercises you have learned to control the horse’s body.
· Practice trotting and loping.
· Practice transitions from walk, to trot, to lope and back.
· Barrel racing!! (at whatever speed you are comfortable)
· Practice for your “Trail Brothers Kids Camp Olympics Show” that will be put on for the parents.
· Practice barrel racing, pole bending, keyhole, jumping, trail obstacles and other fun activities to show off your new skills to your parents!
11am: snack break
11:15am: remount and head out on a trail ride!
· Practice leadership skills and how to lead a string of horses.
· Play teambuilding games out on the trails
· Practice walk, trot, lope.
11:45: arrive back at the stables and be ready to introduce your parents to your horse.
12pm: Trail Brothers Kid’s Camp Olympics Show!
· Choose your favorite events and go show off your new cowgirl/ cowboy skills to your family!
1pm: Awards ceremony and farewell!
· Everyone will receive an award for the thing that they are best at!
· Our most helpful Campers will be invited back to volunteer with Trail Brothers as our proud Jr. Wranglers!!
1:30: Campers will be invited to stay late to paint the pony and take pictures with their friends! (optional)
· Campers will have the opportunity to paint one of our sweet horses!